Friday, August 10, 2012

MARRIAGE REVISTED


A friend of mine recently posted an article on marriage; she wanted to know what my views were on the institution as a whole. It hit me that I have never given marriage any serious thoughts; it has just never been on my bucket list. Marriage to me is one of those things that people have always been doing and as result have never questioned. Is marriage relevant in the twenty first century? What was the basis of marriage? Is it possible to love someone till death do you part?
I understand that most atheists are reluctant to approve of the marriage institution because of the sanctimoniousness and the superstition that is tied to the whole affair. Christians for instance are eager to marry and even stay in clearly failed marriages because it’s written in the Bible that what God has put together let no man put asunder or something close to that. People end being prisoners in prisons they put themselves in. Anyone who has ever been in a relationship knows the fickle mindedness of human relationships. There are times the people we thought we loved turn out to be complete strangers, do they change or is we that adjust the way we used to view them? Sometimes this can happen within weeks or months. How realistic is it then I wonder, to suppose that one can have a relationship that lasts to their death? This is a clearly wishful thinking at its worst.
The proponents for the marriage institution usually argue that we need the institution for among other reasons to show how committed we are to the person, provide a context for taking care of kids and perpetuating the human race. These might look like valid claims at face value but disintegrate under closer analysis. Do we need to put a ring on someone’s finger to show just how we feel about them; do we need to sign papers to prove that we will stick by them through thick and thin? I think marriage might have served a purpose in the past; according to evolutionary biologists marriage was useful in making sure there were enough resources for the female to raise the kid. The father also benefited because he was provided with a steady outlet for his sexual needs and desires. Marriage also ensured that the father invested in his own children. We can see how this might have been important in the African jungle a few thousand years but the society has changed and our notions of marriage must change as well. The rates of divorce coupled with the number couples going for marital therapy is a clear sign that there is something very wrong here.
Lastly, it’s only fair to say that being an existentialist; I appreciate the fact that some people might find marriage to be fulfilling or even meaningful. To them all I can say is more power to them. I have always been a bit of a cynic and I think the world has a few billion extra people and it would be a great disservice to humanity for me to bring and extra mouth in this world. Marriage being a children churning institution therefore makes very little sense to me.  I know a lot of Christians might use this to confirm their unjustified notions that atheism leads to a bleak view of life. So let me clarify my position, I believe that its possible to care for someone, I might even use the word love for emphasis. It is possible for me to stay with someone that I feel this way about, they should be open minded however, they should be willing to question the conventional notions including those about marriage. I know we all love our fairy tales; we hate uncertainty and profoundly dread change. However a society that is too conforming and stuck up in its old ways it bound to stagnate. Perhaps it’s time to revisit the question of marriage.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.....I'd say revisit this in another 3-5 years. Let's see if anything much in your life and around society will have changed.
    Ps: marriage isn't a kiddy churning institution....that can be done outside the confines of the institution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, good insight, that is part of what informs my argument,everything that is done in marriage can be odne outside the institution, doesn't that make the whole institution...unnecessary? can we find enough justification to support our strident support and the meaning we attach to the institution. But yeah I cannot say for certain that these are my final views on the matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While it is true that anything you can do in marriage you can do out of it, I still think it does have its uses.

    Check out the following comment from my blog by one Babanani who blogs at http://www.kenyanthinker.org/main/:

    "Well, coming from an atheist marriage, I tend to think they work pretty well. Of course, you might be more interested in Mamanani’s comments, but last I checked she had not filed for divorce…

    For us, the marriage was about us. I think that a lot of traditions, especially religious ones, are more about the community and forcing couples to conform to what society wants. We got married because we were making a commitment to each other, not making a big, expensive promise to society.

    And looking at the atheist world online, I have to point out that two of the Godless Bitches just married two of the Atheist Experience presenters, Richard Dawkins is married, PZ Meyers is married, and Aron Ra is married. Now, knowing how small the public Kenyan atheist community is, I wouldn’t be surprised that your sample size is pretty small. Perhaps that is skewing your result? My feeling is that a lot of atheists are ok with marriage. But not a church marriage!"

    I think I agree with him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you Missdevi, what I am opposed to is the traditional notion of marriage, the social impositions and obligations of it, like this is how a marriage should be,eg you must get kids, you must stay in a marriage even when it's clearly not working, the fact that those who go through divorce are stigmatized and that sort of thing. I think if both the couples can base it on their commitment and their preference then they can it can work. However we should also be realistic and be willing to call through in the towel if it reaches a point where things are not working out, where the differences are irreconcilable without fear of how the society is going to react :)

      Delete
  4. I don't believe in the sanctity or marriage but marriage was there before religion and is not based on religion, people confuse this which is rather annoying. There are many atheists that are married.

    ReplyDelete